We are a Federal Certified DOT/CDL Medical Exam Center
We perform Corporate physical exams that can be customized to every individual needs, or fulfill company’s requirements, including but not limited to pre-employment, return to duty, annual, bi-annual with or without PPD.
If you are a commercial driver, for your safety and the public’s safety, FMCSA requires you to complete and pass a DOT physical to maintain a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL).
During a DOT physical, a certified medical examiner (CME) will perform a required hands-on physical examination that includes, but is not limited to:
What to Expect At Your DOT/CDL Exam:
• General appearance
• Ears (Whisper Test)
• Mouth and throat
• Lungs and chest
• Nervous system
• Back and spine
• Medical history
As a Reminder:
• To speed up your visit, please fill out the driver’s portion of the Medical Examination Report prior to your visit.
• Insurance does not cover this exam – some employers may pay for this exam
The CME will issue you a medical examiner’s certificate (MEC) – also called a DOT medical card – when you meet the DOT physical requirements. Without a valid DOT medical card, you can lose your CDL.
What to Bring to a DOT Physical Exam
• Bring a complete list of ALL of your medications, including the doses and your doctors’ names and addresses
• You may want to complete page one of the exam (driver’s portion) to save time at the center
Drivers who require eyeglasses, contact lenses, or hearing aids
• Bring your glasses, contacts, or hearing aids
• You will be required to pass a vision and hearing test
Drivers who have high blood pressure
• Your blood pressure MUST be below 140/90 on the day of your exam or you may not qualify for a DOT card
Drivers who have diabetes
• Your blood sugar should be controlled
• Bring the most recent results of a lab test called a Hemoglobin A1C (HgAIC) and your blood sugar logs or other records related to your diabetes
Drivers who have nighttime sleep disturbance (sleep apnea) and use a CPAP machine
• Bring a reading from your machine documenting your proper use of the machine; a letter from your sleep specialist may also be required
• Bring at least 90 days of data, but data from the past year is best
Drivers who have heart-related issues, (including the use of stent, valve replacement, pacemaker, open-heart surgery, cardiac bypass surgery, or heart attack)
• At minimum, bring a letter from your cardiologist (heart specialist) that outlines your medical history and current medications and indicates you are safe to drive a DOT vehicle
• You may also need to bring the results of a recent stress test, ECHO cardiogram, or other testing completed within the past 1-2 years
Drivers who have suffered a stroke, a brain tumor, seizure disorder, or bleeding in the brain
• Bring a letter from your neurologist (brain and nerve specialist) that outlines your medical history, current medications, and current neurologic and psychiatric state
Drivers who have experienced the permanent loss of use in an arm or a leg
• Bring an overview from your physician of the injury and if you have any work restrictions due to the injury
• You may need a Skilled Performance Examination in order to qualify for your DOT card
Drivers who are taking any medications that may cause sedation or sleepiness or controlled substances (includes narcotics, sleeping pills, anxiety medication, ADHD medication)
• You will most likely need a note and medical records from your treating physician regarding the safety of driving a DOT vehicle while using these medications
Drivers who are taking the blood thinner Coumadin (Warfarin)
• Bring a recent INR (blood level and clearance) letter from your doctor
• Please note you will immediately receive your certification upon passing.
• Please be sure to follow the new federal guidelines and proper medical form requirements.
• Please note patients 70 years and older require specialist documentation and a more thorough exam per federal guidlines.
• Please note your exam may incur additional costs based on the needs of your physical.